Resolution is an organisation of solicitors, barristers and other professionals in England and Wales who actively encourage a non-confrontational approach in family law matters. Core members have a significant say in the general family justice system as well as the legal aid system.
There is a clear code of practice which all members must follow and breaches of the code could result in that individual’s membership being revoked.
Their codes and principles are recognised and adopted by the Law Society and is recommended as good practice for all family lawyers. The Resolution Codes of Practice are as follows: –
- Conduct matters in a constructive and non-confrontational way
- Avoid use of inflammatory language both written and spoken
- Retain professional objectivity and respect for everyone involved
- Take into account the long term consequences of actions and communications as well as the short term implications
- Encourage clients to put the best interests of the children first
- Emphasise to clients the importance of being open and honest in all dealings
- Make clients aware of the benefits of behaving in a civilised way
- Keep financial and children issues separate
- Ensure that consideration is given to balancing the benefits of any steps against the likely costs – financial or emotional
- Inform clients of the options e.g. counselling, family therapy, round table negotiations, mediation, collaborative law and court proceedings
- Abide by the Resolution Guides to Good Practice
The Resolution website sets down a list of all its members so that the general public can easily access a professional in their local area. Currently, there are some 6,500 members of throughout the country and each member will be required to attend a training course to ensure that they fully understand the code of practice and that the code is applied to all cases.
Members are committed to encouraging sensitive and cost-effective solutions for their clients and to consider the needs of the whole family, with particular focus on the children. It is the aim of Resolution to help people experiencing family law issues to bring about an arrangement or conclusion, whether they relate to children, divorce or finances, as quickly and as cost effectively as possible.
Resolution recognises that the outcome of any family issue will have a lasting effect on the family as a whole, especially on children. At Hunter & Uro our solicitors are members of Resolution. We aim to keep your costs to a minimum by resolving matters in a non-confrontational manner and in line with the Resolution Code of Practice. If you would like to speak to one of our solicitors, contact us on 01234 889777 for a free consultation. Serving Bedford, Northampton and Milton Keynes, our lawyers can help you with your family law and divorce matters.